Don’t give up the dream of clearing JEE exam. Here are some tips that will help you outsmart the competition. Never freak out if you don’t know the answer to a question. The most important tip for clearing JEE exam is to not lose hope and try to clear one question at a time.
Focus on the fundamentals. It is helpful to go through previous papers in detail to get to know the pattern in which questions are asked. There are no shortcuts for this kind of preparation. It takes thorough practice and hard work to do well in JEE exam.
You should know how to answer questions that can be solved by elimination as well as those that require reasoning. Elimination questions should be answered as soon as you find the correct answer. Reasoning questions may need time to think about. Know when to guess! A good strategy is to go through all the choices and check which ones can be eliminated. This way there is a better chance of eliminating at least one wrong choice when you don’t know the answer for sure. Don’t waste time on the tricky question in which you have no idea whether the answer is right or wrong.
Here are some important tips for your JEE exams:
- Practice with mock tests – The toughest part of JEE is knowing what topics are coming up next. So it’s wise to practice as thoroughly as possible, which means practicing interval-wise as well as mock test papers from previous years’ exams. This will give you an idea of the time you need to finish the paper, which is imperative for cracking JEE. Use online resources for JEE Main Mock Tests papers.
- Select your current areas of weakness – Out of all the topics that are tested in JEE, some topics are your current area of weakness. So it’s wise to spend some more time on those topics to be clear about them.
- Always stick to your goals- Remember why you have chosen engineering as a career path and stick to your goals even if you don’t do well academically for a few years. You can always score well by preparing smartly for entrance exams like JEE during your subsequent attempts. So remember what is more important i.e. your goal or your marks.
- Don’t lose hope- If you do not clear JEE in the first attempt, don’t lose hope and keep working on the fundamental concepts covered for JEE. All you need is a little more effort and persistence to crack this exam.
- Ask your teachers nicely to explain difficult topics – Asking nicely will help you get a better understanding of core topics and it’s really up to you to understand them, which isn’t possible if someone else explains them. So never hesitate in asking your teachers for help and clarify doubts as soon as possible so that they aren’t left lingering in your mind at exam time.
- Start early- Many students lose marks because they start preparing for JEE only a few days before the exam. A good strategy is to start your preparation as soon as you decide on your career path i.e. after class 12. JEE covers a large variety of topics and hence starting early will give you ample time to cover all the necessary topics in-depth so that you can crack the exam confidently on the first attempt.
- Calculate your current level of preparation- If you are planning to crack JEE, it is advisable to keep track of how much work you have done and how much more needs to be done by calculating the number of hours worked each week on average over some time (say one month or two months).
- Keep yourself motivated – Motivation is the only thing that can keep you going strong even if you are tired of facing difficulties. It helps you concentrate on your goal of clearing JEE exam with full dedication.
- Arrange a timetable- A timetable helps you avoid procrastination and keeps you on track with your preparation. The most important tip for clearing JEE exam is to create a timetable that will guide your study sessions, giving enough time for each topic.
- Always remember the question paper pattern – Keeping in mind the question paper pattern is another important tip for clearing JEE exam because it allows you to skip questions that will take too long to answer or are not relevant at all depending on the nature of the problem.
- Avoid short cuts- Short cuts are not necessary but avoid them if possible. Short cuts only distract you from the important concepts that favor your preparation. So it’s wise to trash these shortcut methods in your preparations.
- Avoid knowledge gaps- There may be some topics that you do not know in detail, which is where you need to keep an eye on because they can affect your performance in JEE exam. So remember why you are looking at these topics in the first place and learn them properly so that they are always fresh in your mind when JEE exam time comes.
Practice, Practice, Practice! The more you practice, the better you will be able to cope with the stress that arises during JEE exam. You should keep practicing until you are confident that you will not panic if a question is asked for which you don’t know the answer. The biggest danger when it comes to answering questions during JEE exam is panic due to a lack of confidence. If you have prepared well, there should be no cause for panic.
Gain as much confidence as you can before JEE exam. You will be playing on a level field with those who have been studying from the same books that you have been using. If there is no reason for panic, there should be no cause for worry during JEE exam either. Just go through the questions slowly and try to find the correct answers by eliminating or reasoning out problems. All the best!